Skip to main content
Create interactive lessons using any digital content including wikis with our free sister product
. Get it on the
HHS AP US History
HHS AP US History
Pages and Files
The World's Fair Assignment
Do the Wave
Imperialism and Progressivism vocab(tables 7-10)
13. Teller amendment- A congressional response to the protests of american anti- imperialists. Promised that the U.S. would not annex Cuba, but did not protect against the Platt amendment.
14.Dewey and Manila- Dewey sailed from Hong Kong to destroy the Spanish fleet in the phillipines during the Spanish- American war. The navy destroyed the Spanish fleet and occupied Manila Bay.
19.Meat inspection act: federal workers had to inspect the meat all through the process in factories to make sure the meat was as sanitary as possible. A result of "The Jungle."
20. Pure food and drug act: All ingredients had to be displayed on the package label so that people knew what they were eating and drinking. Made food and drugs safer.
21. National Municipal league- leagues in cities, counties, and states that improved life in the cities by improving public facilities and services.\
I-15,16; P- 22,23,24,44
15. Treaty of Paris- Held in France to end the spanish american war. Discussed debt questions, Cuba, and the Phillipines. Americans got phillipines, puerto rico, and guam. Cuba got its independence and the spanish american war ended.
16. Venezuela boundary dispute- Venezuelan Boundary Dispute officially began in 1841, when the Venezuelan Government protested alleged British encroachment on Venezuelan territory. There was a dispute concerning land claimed by venezuela and britain, so britain tried to take it over. The u.s. used the Roosevelt corollary to the Monroe doctrine as reason to appoint a comission to settle the dispute.
22. Triangle shirtwaist fire- a fire broke out on the top floor of the factory. 146 out of 500 workers died. Most were women immigrants, and were not paid very highly. The people who survived left scarred for life.
23. 17th Amendment- state elections were held to replace senators. senators could serve 6 year terms. 24. Guinn vs. U.S. act- a supreme court decision made in order tokeep voting rights equal for all.
44. Civil Service commission- 3 members have control over appointments for federal and state jobs by determining who is best for the job, rather than a politician favoring his own party and giving them jobs just for supporting him. They had to take exams and the job was based on the score of that exam.
Tables 9 and 10
I-17, 18, 19, 20; P- 25,26,27, 45, 28, 29, 20, 46
19. Boxer Rebellion- society of Harmonious fists was a secret society of chinese nationalists attacked foreign settlements and murdered dozens of christian missionaries. U.S. troops were brought in to put down the rebellion.
20. Puerto Rico- Wanted US to consider helping their colony become free from spain as well as Cuba. Helped the US with attack strategies and information about Spain's attacking strategies and other information. After Spanish American war, it became a US colony.
26. 19th Amendment- granted womens rights to vote in all elections at the local, state, and national levels.
29. Payne-Aldrich tariff- lowered certain tariffs on goods enterin the U.S, but raised them on many more than were lowered. Split republicans into progressives and "old guards"43. Pendleton act- set up the civil service comission and created a system where federal jobs were seleced by scores on an exam rather than a higher-up rewarding people that supported him with jobs for the state and federal governments.
46. Wilson- gorman tariff- meant to lower tariffs, but actually made them much higher.
You can fill in: 17, 18, 25, 27,28, and 30. Sorry I didn't finish those.
Comment to fix them if you want.
help on how to format text
Turn off "Getting Started"